86-10-66413202 / 86-10-66414640
Office of International Students Room 1507, International Students’ Apartment Central Conservatory of Music No.43, Baojia Street, Xicheng District, Beiijng, China, 100031
Announcement about CCOM Receiving the Foreign PhD Candidates in 2017
I). Application Conditions
1. With the degree or education level equals the Master’s degree in China.
2. With good moral and health condition that is in line with the provisions of the physical examination standard.
3. With the written recommendation（专家推荐书）of at least two associate professors or above or the scholars with equivalent title (please download the form of standard format in our official website and scholars’autographs needed on the recommendation paper).
Ⅱ).Application Category:Self-paid full-time postgraduates
Ⅲ). Time and Location of the Examination：the examination will be held at the CCOM, and please enter the website below for more information:http://www.ccom.edu.cn/szc/jfjg/yjsb/zsxx/bszs/201611/t20161130_41942.html
IV). Application website: yjs.ccom.edu.cn
Ⅴ). Application formalities:
Candidates are required to submit the following materials to us on April 4th, 2017, and the papers and works submitted should be original and from the candidates themselves, or the examination and admission qualification will be canceled.
1. Please go to the International Students Office to fill out the “application form” first, and then goto the Graduate Admissions Office to submit “online application form”, with the “registration notice” issued by the International Students Office (there must be signature if needed, otherwise deemed as invalid; see details about program catalogue, tutors, and examination subjects in “博附件一”).
2. ID Card (both original and photocopy)
3. Submit for review the Master’s Graduation Certificate and Master’s Degree Certificate; candidates who possess the academic degree of overseas educational institutions should go to the Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange for certification (show the original and submit the photocopy); fresh graduates can submit student ID card first (show the original and submit the photocopy) and the “fresh graduates” certificate, with the program title and student ID number noted, issued by the degree authorization department, and the original Master's Degree Certificate should be submitted for review before admission; submit for review the study transcripts of Master’s courses, Master's degree thesis, and the resolution paper of thesis oral defense committee.
4. HSK Level 5 Certificate and physical report.
5. Submit the written recommendation（专家推荐书）of at least two associate professors or above, or the scholars with equal title of this program (please download the form of standard format in our official website, and scholars’ autograph is needed on the recommendation paper).
6. Candidates apply for the programs under Musicology should submit: a) Master’s degree thesis (fresh graduates submit the complete thesis as far as possible); b) a report about the research status of the applied program by the candidate, as well as the perspective about the development prospects of this program; C) a research plan written by the candidate, which will be carried out during the PhD period (including research questions and research programs); d) 1academic paper ormonograph written by the candidate independently, which is related to the applied program, demonstrating candidate’s highest academic level，and not less than 5000 words.
Candidates are entitled to participate the following exams only if the materials submitted are accepted.
Note: Papers or books submitted must meet the academic and moral standard. Once plagiarism discovered, according to the different situation of candidates, the qualification of registering for examination, qualification as a student in our Conservatory, as well as the degree granted by the Central Conservatory of Music will be canceled.
7. Candidates applying for Temperament Science should submit:
(1) Three academic papers written by the candidate independently, and one of which should be published in an official journal, and related to the applied program(no less than 5,000 words; copyright page and catalogue copy of the publication should be attached; intended publication certificate is not admitted; candidates who adopted the pen name in publication must submit certificate issued by the publications);
(2) Candidates with Master's degree should submit the Master's thesis. Candidates from fresh graduation, whose thesis has not been completed, should submit the thesis’ topic, catalogue, as well as the abbreviated paper manuscript of 10,000 words, or some chapters of the same quantity;
(3) Requirement of the academic thesis of (1) is also applicative to the candidates with the equivalent education level and the trans-discipline candidates. In the academic papers submitted, there must be at least one Master’s level academic paper of the applied program.
(4) The above-mentioned materials need to be submitted to the tutors for review and then the qualified candidates can take part in the examination.
8. Candidates apply for the programs under Theories of Composition should submit three academic papers written by the candidate independently, and one of which must be published in an official journal, and related to the applied program(catalogue copy of the publication should be attached; intended publication certificate is not admitted; student who adopted the pen name in publication must submit certificate issued by the publications); Besides, candidates apply for the following programs: Polyphony, Harmony, and Music Works Analysis, must submit a piece of independently created trio above chamber music work; candidates apply for the Orchestration program are required to submit a piece of independently created orchestral work (large orchestral instruments scale).
9. Candidates apply for Composition should submit three independently created works, and one of which must be symphony orchestra works(large orchestral instruments scale), the other two works can be chamber music, vocal music, folk music, electronic music, or others.
★Materials submitted by the candidates applying for Composition and Composition Technical Theory must be reviewed by the experts organized by the Composition Department, and candidates can take the examination only if the materials submitted are accepted.
10. Candidates apply for Electronic Music Composition must submit an academic paper related to the electronic music; five electronic music works (include audio file, CD and music score, and at least two works lasting over ten minutes), which include two to three pure electronic music works, and two to three works combining real instruments (human voice/ multimedia) with electronic music. All the materials mentioned above need to be examined by specialists.
11. Candidates apply for Electronic Music Technology Theory are required to submit three relevant academic papers about electronic music (or other research achievement), and the length of at least one of which should be more than 3,0000 words; submit one piece of electronic music work (Audio file and CD).All the materials mentioned above need to be examined by specialists.
12. Candidates apply for Music Pedagogy must submit the Master’s thesis; one teaching practice summary report; a copy of music teaching video (1 class hour). All the materials mentioned above need to be examined by specialists.
13. Symphony and Opera Conducting:
Open to the candidates both at home and abroad, mainly oriented to the young conductors from art troupes of national music conservatory and professional orchestra, outstanding graduates of Conducting Department, as well as the professional teachers of Conducting Department in music conservatory. Generally, the candidates should be the students with Master's degree of Conducting.
Candidates apply for Symphony and Opera Conducting should submit application for the examination first, and then the materials will be reviewed by the professors of Conducting Department. Candidates must submit the DVD of concert in recent years，which can demonstrate candidates’ professional level, as well as relevant materials (resume, art experience, repertoire size, academic achievement, learning desire and two experts’ recommendation letters). Once getting the approval of professors of Conducting Department, the candidates can attend the formal examination.
14. Network Music Performing (new pilot program);
Please see more details in the following website:
Ⅵ). Examination Fee:
Fee for the Examination: RMB 800 yuan.
All the expenses should be handled by the candidates themselves, and the examination fee will not be refunded once taking application.
Ⅶ). Intention Filling for Program: Candidates can only fill in one Program of our Conservatory (see more detail about Programs in “博附件一”).
I). Examination Method
1. Candidates, whose submitted papers and research report are accepted, after receiving the announcement, are entitled to take the examination. See more detail about the examination subjects in “博附件一”.Candidates who need to take part in the oral test, should firstly make the submitted “report about the research status and personal perspective about the development prospects of the applied program” and the “research program plan” into ppt format. At the oral test, the statement should be no more than10 minutes, and then candidates need to answer the questions asked by the interview experts. Oral test will be more than 20 minutes for per person.
2. Examination method of other departments: written and oral tests, see more detail about the examination subjects in“博附件一”(no foreign language examination).
3. There is additional examination for the trans-discipline candidates. Candidates who get 60 will pass the additional examination, and the loser is not entitled to take other examinations.
Ⅱ). References: See more detail in “博附件二”.
The Conservatory will choose from a pool of candidates based on their applications as well as their examination performances. Letters of admission will be sent to them in paper in Jun. 2017, where they will read about the admission procedures.
New recruits are expected to enroll in Sept. 2017(the date will be announced until further notice).Upon arrival, they will receive a health examination conducted by professionals designated by the Conservatory, and those who do not pass will not be enrolled.
The PhD program is full-time and lasts for three years. An international student will need to pay a tuition fee of 48,000 RMB per academic year in full (the number may vary according to the possible new standards published by relevant Beijing authorities) at registration.
Apart from this, the student will also need to pay for housing and any other expenses that are not included in the tuition fee. He may consult the International Students’ Office about the housing issue（+8610-66413202）.
Those who have got full credits and had their degree works, degree concerts and degree papers passed in accordance withRegulations of the People’s Republic of China on Academic Degreeswill receive PhD degrees.
Note: “博附件一”，“博附件二”, “专家推荐书”mentioned above can be found at “中央音乐学院2017年博士招生相关附件下载”of http://www.ccom.edu.cn/szc/jfjg/yjsb/zsxx/bszs/